NewAlpha publishes the 5th edition of its annual mapping of French fintech entrepreneurs
Paris, February 17, 2022
Since the launch in 2015 of the first French Venture Capital fund dedicated to European Fintechs, NewAlpha’s team of expert Fin&Tech investors has been in daily contact with entrepreneurs and institutional players in the financial industry. With several hundred companies analyzed by this specialized team, this mapping, updated as of end December 2021, offers a picture of the dynamics of the French FinTech sector, which is consolidating its major place in the Tech scene more than ever:
- 6 of the 14 French unicorns that emerged in 2021 are Fintechs
- 10 French Fintechs raised around 100 million euros in 2021, for a total of more than 1 billion euros
- The 2022 class of the FrenchTech Next40 /120 has just been unveiled: Fintechs constitute 33% of the NEXT40 (1st position) and 18% of the FrenchTech 120 (2nd position)
These positive developments have naturally captured the attention of most observers. They have, however, overshadowed those of newer players who are fundamental to the emulation of the financial industry and who may succeed these now established fintechs. We call them the Fintech Challengers, and our study aims to highlight them by analyzing their evolution.
The 269 Fintech Challengers identified in the framework of this mapping are French Fintechs, entrepreneurial, no older than 5 years and active at the end of 2021. These Fintechs are actively participating in the digital transformation of the banking, insurance and asset management industries. They offer new financial products and services or digital solutions that enable financial industry players to optimize their business processes. They are grouped by sector of activity and seniority in order to follow their entrepreneurial dynamics over the past few years. An analysis of fundraising by sector also helps to anticipate changes in the financial industry.
“If the success of this sector is already proven, the entrepreneurial dynamism of the French Fin&Tech scene offers better prospects than ever,” says Lior Derhy, Managing Partner at NewAlpha AM.
The full study in English can be downloaded here.
The Fintech sector has quickly become one of the most active in France and maintains a very sustained entrepreneurial momentum
- Our study now aims to highlight the French “Fintech Challengers” who constitute the revival and succession of this now established sector
- The 269 Fintech Challengers identified in this mapping are entrepreneurial French Fintechs that are at least 5 years old and active at the end of 2021 (+25% compared to those that met the same criteria at the end of 2020)
- The entrepreneurial dynamic and the renewal of offerings are as strong as ever in a context of tangible acceleration of the digitalization of the economy catalyzed by the health crisis. 110 FinTech Challengers have entered this new 2022 edition
- Insurtech, Investment Solutions Tech and Paytech occupy the podium of Fintech Challengers at the end of 2021
The success of Fintech unicorns: the tree that hides the forest
- Fintech has again broken its previous records in 2021. In France, this sector has notably attracted more than €4.5 billion in investments between 2015 and 2021
- Entrepreneurial momentum remains at a high level. Fintech Challengers have achieved ¾ of the 97 Fintech fundraisings identified in 2021 (+56% compared to 2020) for a total amount of €632 million (+41% compared to 2020)
- At the same time, 27 Fintechs over 5 years old at the end of 2021 have closed financing deals for a total amount of approximately €1.5 billion in 2021. Among them, 6 mega-deals above €100 million compared to 2 in 2020
- All years combined, 8 French Fintechs have now raised more than €200 million since their launch; there were none before 2021
- Many French fintechs have convinced major French and international investors of the depth of their deployments and the strategic importance of their positioning with a view to expansion, especially geographically
The full study in English can be downloaded here
To learn more about our VC Fintech strategy and our portfolio companies, click here.
DISCLAIMER : INFORMATION DOCUMENT. THIS DOCUMENT IS INTENDED FOR NON-PROFESSIONAL INVESTORS WITHIN THE MEANING OF THE MIF II DIRECTIVE.
The information contained in this document is provided for information purposes only and does not constitute an offer or solicitation to invest, nor does it constitute investment advice or a recommendation on specific investments. The information, opinions and figures are considered to be accurate as of the date of their preparation. NewAlpha Asset Management does not guarantee the completeness, accuracy or reliability of the information contained in this document. It is not contractually binding, is subject to change and may differ from the opinions of other professionals. Reproduction or reuse of all or part of this document is prohibited without the prior consent of NewAlpha Asset Management. Published by NewAlpha Asset Management – Simplified joint stock company with a capital of 2,095,960 euros – RCS Paris 450 500 012 – VAT number: FR 18450500012 – Portfolio management company approved by the AMF under the number GP05000001 of January 20, 2005 (www.amf-france.org).